Jobs Rated 2009: A Comprehensive Ranking of 200 Different Jobs
By Andrew Strieber
This is our 2009 200 Jobs Jobs report
See the 200 Best Jobs of 2010
Choosing a career path is one of the biggest decisions you can make. Whether you're the type who "lives to work" or just "works to live," in most cases your job will consume much of your time and be a vital part of your identity. Yet despite this central role employment plays in daily life, many people wind up in a given career virtually by chance. For all those who decide on a profession at an early age, a great deal more simply select the best opportunity that comes along, regardless of their interests.
JobsRated.com offers help for uncertain job seekers by analyzing 200 different jobs according to 5 vital criteria: Stress, Work Environment, Physical Demands, Income and Outlook. In every area each job receives a specific score, and data is mined to provide the most detailed information possible – for example, rather than listing average incomes, our rankings combine each job's mid-level salary with its outlook score, which eliminates data from employees making too much or too little to provide a more accurate result (for complete details on how we score, visit the JobsRated.com Methodology Page).
By bringing data on 200 jobs into one central list and ranking them, JobsRated.com serves as a resource for anyone trying to see a clearer picture of today's uncertain job market, whether you're looking to apply to grad school or trying to decide between multiple offers. Even if you just want to know how your job stacks up against another, our rankings can help you find alternatives that may better suit you. In addition to this complete list of 200 jobs, rankings are broken into the 10 best and 10 worst professions, as well as reports based on stress, work environment, and other criteria that will debut in the coming weeks. There is also a ranking of the nation's 10 most satisfying jobs, based on unique data.
- Find This Job1. Mathematician
- Applies mathematical theories and formulas to teach or solve problems in a business, educational, or industrial climate.
- Overall Ranking: 1 Overall Score: 104 Work Environment: 89.720
Physical Demands: 3.97 Stress: 24.670 Income: $94,160 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job2. Actuary
- Interprets statistics to determine probabilities of accidents, sickness, and death, and loss of property from theft and natural disasters.
- Overall Ranking: 2 Overall Score: 128 Work Environment: 179.440
Physical Demands: 3.97 Stress: 20.187 Income: $88,146 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job3. Statistician
- Tabulates, analyzes, and interprets the numeric results of experiments and surveys.
- Overall Ranking: 3 Overall Score: 152 Work Environment: 89.520
Physical Demands: 3.95 Stress: 27.980 Income: $72,197 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job4. Biologist
- Studies the relationship of plants and animals to their environment.
- Overall Ranking: 4 Overall Score: 153 Work Environment: 314.370
Physical Demands: 4.98 Stress: 26.950 Income: $74,273 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job5. Software Engineer
- Researches, designs, develops and maintains software systems along with hardware development for medical, scientific, and industrial purposes.
- Overall Ranking: 5 Overall Score: 178 Work Environment: 150.000
Physical Demands: 5 Stress: 25.000 Income: $86,139 Hours Per Week: 50
- Find This Job6. Computer Systems Analyst
- Plans and develops computer systems for businesses and scientific institutions.
- Overall Ranking: 6 Overall Score: 182 Work Environment: 90.780
Physical Demands: 5.08 Stress: 24.970 Income: $75,160 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job7. Historian
- Analyzes and records historical information from a specific era or according to a particular area of expertise.
- Overall Ranking: 7 Overall Score: 189 Work Environment: 136.410
Physical Demands: 5.09 Stress: 28.420 Income: $61,209 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job8. Sociologist
- Studies human behavior by examining the interaction of social groups and institutions.
- Overall Ranking: 8 Overall Score: 204 Work Environment: 318.290
Physical Demands: 5.09 Stress: 34.100 Income: $63,195 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job9. Industrial Designer
- Designs and develops manufactured products.
- Overall Ranking: 9 Overall Score: 205 Work Environment: 177.000
Physical Demands: 6.85 Stress: 32.080 Income: $58,206 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job10. Accountant
- Prepares and analyzes financial reports to assist managers in business, industry and government.
- Overall Ranking: 10 Overall Score: 208 Work Environment: 276.780
Physical Demands: 4.23 Stress: 31.138 Income: $59,173 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job11. Economist
- Studies and analyzes the effects of resources such as land, labor, and raw materials, on costs and their relation to industry and government.
- Overall Ranking: 11 Overall Score: 210 Work Environment: 227.350
Physical Demands: 4.09 Stress: 38.650 Income: $83,222 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job12. Philosopher
- Studies questions concerning the nature of intellectual concepts, and attempts to construct rational theories concerning our understanding of the world around us.
- Overall Ranking: 12 Overall Score: 214 Work Environment: 361.440
Physical Demands: 6.04 Stress: 30.497 Income: $58,200 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job13. Physicist
- Researches and develops theories concerning the physical forces of nature.
- Overall Ranking: 13 Overall Score: 230 Work Environment: 269.460
Physical Demands: 7.98 Stress: 30.314 Income: $100,140 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job14. Parole Officer
- Monitors, counsels, and reports on the progress of individuals who have been released from correctional institutions to serve parole.
- Overall Ranking: 14 Overall Score: 234 Work Environment: 381.060
Physical Demands: 6.47 Stress: 26.463 Income: $46,169 Hours Per Week: 42.5
- Find This Job15. Meteorologist
- Studies the physical characteristics, motions and processes of the earth's atmosphere.
- Overall Ranking: 15 Overall Score: 239 Work Environment: 179.640
Physical Demands: 6.98 Stress: 29.192 Income: $81,234 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job16. Medical Laboratory Technician
- Conducts routine laboratory tests and analyses used in the detection, diagnosis, and treatment of disease.
- Overall Ranking: 16 Overall Score: 241 Work Environment: 454.300
Physical Demands: 7.26 Stress: 23.748 Income: $53,100 Hours Per Week: 40
- Find This Job17. Paralegal Assistant
- Assists attorneys in preparation of legal documents; collection of depositions and affidavits; and investigation, research and analysis of legal issues.
- Overall Ranking: 17 Overall Score: 244 Work Environment: 263.820
Physical Demands: 5.79 Stress: 23.084 Income: $46,155 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job18. Computer Programmer
- Organizes and lists the instructions for computers to process data and solve problems in logical order.
- Overall Ranking: 18 Overall Score: 249 Work Environment: 265.080
Physical Demands: 5.84 Stress: 27.000 Income: $70,176 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job19. Motion Picture Editor
- Supervises the filming and editing of motion pictures for entertainment, business, and educational purposes.
- Overall Ranking: 19 Overall Score: 253 Work Environment: 274.680
Physical Demands: 7.16 Stress: 34.335 Income: $49,368 Hours Per Week: 45
- Find This Job20. Astronomer
- Uses principles of physics and mathematics to understand the workings of the universe.
- Overall Ranking: 20 Overall Score: 255 Work Environment: 314.370
Physical Demands: 7.98 Stress: 28.069 Income: $102,233 Hours Per Week: 45
See The Next 20 Jobs